SPME GC/MS determination of organochlorine pesticides in water samples
AbstractHeadspace solid phase microextraction (HS-SPME) in combination with gas chromatography and mass-spectrometry (GC/MS) was studied for analysis of water samples. The organochlorine pesticides (OCPs), p,p'-DDT, p,p'-DDD, and p,p'-DDE were collected and analyzed by GC/MS. To select of effective fiber coatings four types of SPME fibers were examined and compared. The parameters effecting the efficiency of HS-SPME such as extraction and pre-incubation time and extraction temperature, effect of solvent nature, ionic strength were studied to obtain optimal parameters. The method was developed using spiked water samples in a concentration range 10 - 500 ng/L. The calibration curve was linear over the studied concentration range with r≥0.9925. The detection limits varied from 1.57 to 2.08 ng/L. An authentic water samples from contaminated lake with OCPs were analyzed by developed method.
- Nurzhanova A., Kulakow P., Rubin E., Rakhimbayev I., Sedlovskiy A., Zhambakin K. Kalugin S, Kolysheva O., Erickson L. Phytoremediation of contaminated soil in Kazakhstan // Application of Phytoremediation for Cleanup of Industrial, Agricultural and Wastewater Contamination. Eds P.A.Kulakow, V.V. Pidlisnyuk. 2010: Springer Science – P. 87-109.
- Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants // - (http://www.pops.int/documents/convtext/convtext_en.pdf.)
- Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 383 concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH). – 2006. – // (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_396/l_39620061230en00010849.pdf; Accessed Nov. 2012).
- Chopra A.K., Kuma M., Chamoli S. 2011. Bioaccumulation of organochlorine pesticides in aquatic system—an overview. Environmental Monitoring Assessment 173: 905–916. CrossRef
- Ayas Z., Barlas N., Kolankaya D. 1997. Determination of organochlorine pesticide residues in various environments and organisms in Goksu Delta, Turkey. Aquatic Toxicology 39:171-181. CrossRef
- IPEN, 2004a. Kazakhstan Country Situation Report, English Summary, International POPs Elimination Project // – (http://www.ipen.org/ipepweb1/library/ipep_pdf_reports/1kaz%20kazakhstan%20country%20situation%20report%20english.pdf (accessed Mar.2012))
- Nurzhanova A., Zhambakin K., Kalugin S. 2012. Obsolete pesticides and application of colonizing plant species for remediation of contaminated soil in Kazakhstan. Environmental Science Pollution 20:2054-2063. CrossRef
- Jensen, S., Mazhitova, Z. and Zetterstrцm, R. 1997. Environmental pollution and child health in the Aral Sea region in Kazakhstan. The Science of Total Environment 206:187-193. CrossRef
- Ratola N., Santos L., Herbert P., Alves A. 2006. Uncertainty associated to the analysis of organochlorine pesticides in water by solid-phase microextraction/gas chromatography–electron capture detection-evaluation using two different approaches. Analytica Chimica Acta 573-574:202-208. CrossRef
- Muir D., Sverko E. 2006. Analytical methods for PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in environmental monitoring and surveillance: a critical appraisal Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 386:769-789. CrossRef
- Pawliszyn J. Handbook of Solid Phase Microextraction. – 1st edition. – Elsevier, 2012. – P. 477.
- Beltran J., Lopez F.J., Hernandez F. 2000. Solid-phase microextraction in pesticide residue analysis. Journal of Chromatography A 885:389-404. CrossRef
- Magdic S., Pawliszyn J. 1996. Analysis of organochlorine pesticides using solid-phase microextraction. Journal of Chromatography A 723:111-122. CrossRef
- Beceiro-Gonzalez E., Concha-Grana E., Guimaraes A., Goncёalves C., Muniategui-Lorenzo S., Alpendurada M.F. 2007. Optimisation and validation of a solid-phase microextraction method for simultaneous determination of different types of pesticides in water by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A 1141:165-173. CrossRef
- Donga C., Zeng Z., Yang M. 2005. Determination of organochlorine pesticides and their derivations in water after HS-SPME using polymethylphenylvinylsiloxane-coated fiber by GC-ECD. Water Research 39:4204-4210. CrossRef
- Li H.-P., Li G.-C., Jen J.-F. 2003. Determination of organochlorine pesticides in water using microwave assisted headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A 1012:129-137. CrossRef
- Qiu C., Cai M. 2010. Ultra trace analysis of 17 organochlorine pesticides in water samples from the Arctic based on the combination of solid-phase extraction and headspace solid-phase microextraction–gas chromatography-electron-capture detector. Journal of Chromatography A 1217:1191-1202. CrossRef
- Lambropoulou D. A., Konstantinou I. K., Albanis A.T. 2007. Recent developments in headspace microextraction techniques for the analysis of environmental contaminants in different matrices. Journal of Chromatography A 1152:70-96. CrossRef
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.