Actual directions in study of ecological consequences of a highly toxic 1,1-dimethylhydrazine-based rocket fuel spills
AbstractThe paper represents a review of the actual directions in study of ecological consequences of highly toxic 1,1-dimethylhydrazine-based rocket fuel spills. Recent results on study of processes of transformation of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine, identification of its main metabolites and development of analytical methods for their determination are generalized. Modern analytical methods of determination of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine and its transformation products in environmental samples are characterized. It is shown that in recent years, through the use of most modern methods of physical chemical analysis and sample preparation, works in this direction made significant progress and contributed to the development of studies in adjacent areas. A character of distribution of transformation products in soils of fall places of first stages of rocket-carriers is described and the available methods for their remediation are characterized.
1. Carlsen L., Kenessova O., Batyrbekova S. 2006. A preliminary assessment of the potential environmental and human health impact of unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine as a result of space activities. Chemosphere 67:1108-1116. CrossRef
2. Commercial launches of "Proton" rockets gave more than $4B to the budget of Russia. http://www.rian.ru/science/20100715/255116410.html.
3. Kassimov N.S., Grebenyuk V.B., Koroleva T.V., Proskuryakov Y.V. 1994. Behavior of rocket fuel in soil, water and plants. Pochvovedeniye 9:110-120.
4. Carlsen L., Kenessov B.N., Batyrbekova S.Y., Nauryzbaev M.K. 2010. On the space activities at the Baikonur cosmodrome: an approach to an integrated environmental assessment. International Journal of Environmental Sciences 1:55-64.
5. Carlsen L., Kenessov B.N., Batyrbekova S.Ye. 2008. A QSAR/QSTR study on the environmental health impact by the rocket fuel 1,1-dimethyl hydrazine and its transformation products. Environmental Health Insights 1:11-20. Link
6. Buryak A.K., Tataurova O.G., Ulyanov A.V. 2004. Study of transformation products of unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine on model sorbents by the method of gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Mass spectrometry 1:147-152.
7. Kenessov B.N. 2008. Identification of volatile transformation products of unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine in soils by headspace extraction in combination with chromato-mass spectrometry. Izvestiya NAN RK. Chemistry series 371:48-53.
8. Smolenkov A.D., Rodin I.A., Shpak A.V., Shpigun O.A. 2007. 1-Formyl-2,2,-dimethylhydrazine as a new decomposition product of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry 87:351-359. CrossRef
9. Rodin I.A., Moskvin D.N., Smolenkov A.D., Shpigun O.A. Transformations of asymmetric dimethylhydrazine in soils. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A 6:1039-1044. CrossRef
10. Kenessov B., Koziel J., Grotenhuis T., Carlsen L. 2010. Screening of transformation products in soils contaminated with unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine using headspace SPME and GC–MS. Analytica Chimica Acta 674:32-39. CrossRef
11. Kenessov B., Alimzhanova M., Sailaukhanuly Y., Baimatova N., Abilev M., Batyrbekova S., Carlsen L., Tulegenov A., Nauryzbayev M. 2012. Transformation products of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine and their distribution in soils of fall places of rocket carriers in Central Kazakhstan. Science of the Total Environment 427-428:78-85. CrossRef
12. Alimzhanova M.B., Batyrbekova S.Y., Carlsen L., Nauryzbayev M.K. 2009. Transformation of unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine in aqueous extracts from soils. Izvestiya NAN RK. Seriya Khimicheskaya 1:87-92.
13. Alimzhanova M.B., Doszhan G.N., Kenessov B.N., Batyrbekova S.Y., Nauryzbayev M.K. 2009. Study of transformation of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine in water at the presence of cations of iron (III), copper(II) and manganese (II). Chemical Bulletin of Kazakh National University 2:139-144. CrossRef
14. Carlsen L., Kenessov B., Batyrbekova S.Y. 2009. A QSAR/QSTR study on the human health impact by the rocket fuel 1,1-dimethylhydrazine and its transformation products. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 27:415-423. CrossRef
15. Denisov A.A., Smolenkov A.D., Shpigun O.A. 2004. Determination of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography with spectrophotometric detection as a derivative with 4-nitrobenzaldehyde. Journal of Analytical Chemistry 59:452-456. CrossRef
16. Kenessov B.N., Kalugina S.M., Alimzhanova M.B., Baimatova N., Batyrbekova S.Y. 2007. Development of methods for determination of 1,1-dimethylhydrazine in water, soil and plants by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode-array detection. Chemical Bulletin of Kazakh National University 5:73-77.
17. Rodin I.A., Anan'eva I.A., Smolenkov A.D., Shpigun O.A. 2010. Determination of the products of the oxidative transformation of unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine in soils by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry. Journal of Analytical Chemistry 65:1405-1410. CrossRef
18. Smirnov R.S., Rodin I.A., Smolenkov A.D., Shpigun O.A. 2010. Determination of the products of the transformation of unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine in soils using chromatography/mass spectrometry. Journal of Analytical Chemistry 65:1266-1272. CrossRef
19. Kenessov B., Batyrbekova S., Nauryzbayev M., Bekbassov T., Alimzhanova M., Carlsen L. GC-MS determination of 1-methyl-1H-1,2,4-triazole in soils affected by rocket fuel spills in Central Kazakhstan. Chromatographia. – 2008. – Vol. 57. – P.421-424. CrossRef
20. Kenessov B., Sailaukhanuly Ye., Koziel J., Carlsen L., Nauryzbayev M. 2011. GC-MS and GC-NPD determination of formaldehyde dimethylhydrazone in water using SPME. Chromatographia.73:123-128. CrossRef
21. Kenessov B.N. 2009. The use of solid-phase microextraction as sample preparation for determination of N-nitrosodimethylamine in water contaminated as a result of hydrazine-based rocket fuel spills. Chemical Bulletin of Kazakh National University 2:92-97. CrossRef
22. Kenessov B.N. 2010. System of analytical control of environmental objects on sites of hydrazine-based rocket fuel spills. Chemical Bulletin of al-Farabi University 3:403-406. Crossref
23. Nauryzbaev M.K., Batyrbekova S.Ye., Kenessov B.N., Tassibekov Kh.S., Vorozheikin A.P., Proskuryakov Yu.V. 2005. Ecological Problems of Central Asia Resulting from Space Rocket Debris. History and Society in Central and Inner Asia Toronto Studies in Central and Inner Asia, #7 Asian Institute, University of Toronto. Toronto: 327-349.
24. Zhubatov Z.K., Tovassarov A.D., Bissariyeva S.S., Tolegenova N.A., Sembayev E.T. 2011. Effective environmentally friendly methods of detoxification of soils contaminated with unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine and its transformation products. Proceedings of International Scientific Practical Conference "Provision of environmental safety of rocket space activity. - Moscow, Russia. - P.110-115.
25. Tsel A.V. 2010. Development of adsorption technology for detoxification of soils contaminated by rocket fuel components. Abstract of Dissertation for Candidate of Science Degree. - Almaty, Kazakhstan.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.