Nanocarbon structures formation on the electrodes of arc plasmatron
The article presents results of physico-chemical study of the deposit formed on the electrodes of an arc plasmatron when applying propane-butane mixture in the electrode gap. The studies were performed by means of optical, electronic, and Raman microscopy. According to Raman spectra various forms of nanocarbon were identified in the cathode deposit. Fact of synthesis of maleic anhydride and its covalent grafting to nanographite during operation plasmatron was found. It is shown that this construction arc plasmatron with supply of hydrocarbon gas can be considered as a mini-reactor for the synthesis of different forms of nanocarbon, the surface and physical-chemical properties modification.
1. Galiay Ph. A Code of Conduct for Responsible Nanosciences and Nanotechnologies Research in Europe. Nanotec2009. it. Nanotechnology, Competitiveness and innovation for industrial growth. Book of abstracts, March 31 – Aprile 3, 2009, Italy, Rome, National Research Council. P. 23
2. Golish V. I., Karpenko E. I., Messerle V. E. et al. Long Life Plasmatron with Carbon Nanostructured Electrodes // Abstracts and Full-Papers CD of 18th International Symposium on Plasma Chemistry. Kyoto, Japan, August 26–31, 2007. Kyoto University, Japan – Abstract – p. 312, CD – Topic 30P-93.
3. Golish V. I., Karpenko E. I., Lukyashchenko V. G. et al. Nanocarbon Coating of Electrodes for Plasma Torch Life Prolongation. Nanotec2009. it. Nanotechnology, Competitiveness and innovation for industrial growth. Book of abstracts, March 31 – April 3, 2009, Italy, Rome, National Research Council. P. 141–142
4. Gorokhovski M., Karpenko E. I., Lockwood F. C. et al. Plasma Technologies for Solid Fuels: Experiment and Theory. Journal of the Energy Institute. 78 (4), 2005. P. 1–15.
5. Karpenko E.I., Messerle V.E., Peregudov S.V., Ustimenko A.B. Plasma-energy technologies for enchansment of ecological and economical indexes of incineration and gasification of pulverized coal [Plazmenno-energeticheskie tekhnologii dlia uluchshenia ecologicheskikh i ekonomicheskikh pokazatelei szhigania i gazifikatsii pilevidnogo uglia] // Generation of low-temperature plasma and plasma technologies: Problems and Prospects. Low-temperature plasma. 20. Novosibirsk: Nauka, 2004. – P. 341–366.
6. Messerle V.E., Ustimenko A.B., Lukyashchenko V.G., Ushanov V.Zh., Karpenko E.I. Long life DC arc plasmatron with nanocarbon coating of electrodes, Proceedings of the 20th International Symposium on Plasma Chemistry (ISPC20), Philadelphia, USA - July 24-29, 2011, CD – Topic SOU03
7. Messerle V.E., Ustimenko A.B., Lukyashchenko V.G., Ushanov V.Zh., Karpenko E.I. Nanocarbon coating for protection of the arc plasmatron electrodes. Contributed papers of VI International Conference on Plasma Physics and Plasma Technology, Volume I, Minsk, Belarus, September 28 – October 2, 2009. – P. 374–377
8. Oshanina I.V., Brook L.G, Temkin O.N. Alternative methods of the products of the main organic synthesis production [Al’ternativnie metodi poluchenia produktov osnovnogo organicheskogo sinteza]. - M. MITKhT, 2002. - 106 p.
9. Ramon K.S. Almeida, Julio C.P. Melo, Claudio Airoldi A new approach for mesoporous carbon organofunctionalization with maleic anhydride, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 165 (2013) 168–176
10. Cançado L. G., Takai K., and Enoki T. General equation for the determination of the crystallite size La of nanographite by Raman spectroscopy, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 88, 163106 (2006).
11. Ahmad Umair, Tehseen Z. Raza, Hassan Raza On the Crystal Size Studies of Pyrolytic Carbon by Raman Spectroscopy, Submitted on 26 Mar 2013, arXiv:1303.6364
12. Kaper H, Grandjean A, Weidenthaler C, Schüth F, Goettmann F., Surface Diels-Alder reactions as an effective method to synthesize functional carbon materials., Chemistry. 2012 Mar 26;18(13):4099-106. doi: 10.1002/chem.201102718. Epub 2012 Feb 15.
13. Nicolas Zydziak, Basit Yameen and Christopher Barner-Kowollik , Review Article Diels–Alder reactions for carbon material synthesis and surface functionalization Polym. Chem., 2013, Advance Article, DOI: 10.1039/C3PY00232B Received 14 Feb 2013, Accepted 12 Mar 2013, First published online 13 Mar 2013.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.