Identification and quantification of organic pollutants in the air of the city of Astana using solid phase microextraction
Solid-phase microextraction in combination with gas chromatography and mass-spectrometry (GC-MS) was used for determination of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and o-xylene (BTEX), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), and for identification of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in ambient air of the city of Astana, Kazakhstan. The screening of the samples showed the presence of mono- and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, alkanes, alkenes, phenols, and benzaldehydes.
The concentrations of naphthalene were 5-7 times higher than the permissible value, it was detected in all studied air samples. Average concentration of naphthalene was 18.4 μg/m3, acenaphthylene – 0.54 μg/m3, acenaphthene – 1.63 μg/m3, fluorene – 0.79 μg/m3, anthracene – 3.27 μg/m3, phenanthrene – 0.22 μg/m3, fluorantene – 0.74 μg/m3, pyrene – 0.73 μg/m3. Average concentrations of BTEX in the studied samples were 31.1, 84.9, 10.8 and 11.6 μg/m3, respectively. Based on the statistical analysis of the concentrations of BTEX and PAH, the main source of city air pollution with them was assumed to be vehicle emissions.
2. Baimatova N, Kenessov B, Koziel JA, Carlsen L, Bektassov M, Demyanenko OP (2016) Talanta 154:46-52. Crossref
3. Ravindra K, Sokhi R, Van Grieken R (2008) Atmos Environ 13:2895-2921. Crossref
4. US EPA (2016) Dose-response assessment for assessing health risks associated with exposure to hazardous air pollutants [Electronic resource]. Web-Page. Accessed 16 Sep 2016
5. Masih A, Lall AS, Taneja A, Singhvi R (2017) Chemosphere 176:8-17. Crossref
6. ATSDR (1995) US Dep Heal Hum Serv 1-487. Crossref
7. Pandey SK, Kim K-H, Brown RJC (2011) TrAC-Trend Anal Chem 30:1716-1739. Crossref
8. Abdel-Shafy HI, Mansour MSM (2016) Egypt J Pet 25:107-123. Crossref
9. Department of Environmental Monitoring and Information of the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Kazakhstan, City of Astana: National report on the state of the environment of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Web-Page. Accessed 23 May 2017
10. Orazbayeva D, Karatayeva U, Kenessov B et. al (2016) Chem Bull Kazakh Natl Univ 2:34-44. Crossref
11. Carlsen L., Kenessov BN, Baimatova NK, Kenessova OA (2013) Int J Biol Chem 49:49-69.
12. Zhang Y, Mu Y, Liu J, Mellouki A (2012) J Environ Sci 24:124-130. Crossref
13. Yang B, Xue N, Zhou L, Li F, Cong X, Han B, et al. (2012) Ecotox Environ Safe 84:304-310. Crossref
14. Committee on Statistics of the Ministry of National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Web-Page. Accessed 18 May 2017
15. (2017) About JCS Astana Energy [O AO Astana Energiya]. Web-Page. Accessed 18 May 2017. (In Russian)
16. Ballesteros-Gómez A, Rubio S (2011) Anal Chem 83:4579-4613. Crossref
17. Orazbayeva D, Karatayeva U (2016) Map of air sampling in the city of Astana, February 22, 2016. Web-Page. Accessed 23 May 2017.
18. Bianchin JN, Nardini G, Merib J, Dias AN, Martendal E, Carasek E (2012) J Chromatogr A 1233:22-29. Crossref
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.