Preparation of graft copolymers with cerium ions (IV)
AbstractIn this work, water-soluble copolymers based on methyl cellulose (MC) and acrylic acid (AA) with the use of a redox initiator ions of cerium (IV) were synthesized. The composition of the copolymers obtained was studied by reverse potentiometric titration; it was shown that the increasing of acrylic acid in the initial mixture, increases graft acrylic units in the polysaccharide chain. From the spectra absorption lines of carboxyl and ether groups were identified, it was proved that the copolymer composition consists of two components. Also thermal conversion processes and interstructural bonds of graft copolymers of various compositions were investigated by methods of differential thermogravimetric analysis and scanning calorimetry. The decomposition temperature of methylcellulose and acrylic acid was defined in the system, and it was shown that different glass transition temperatures corresponds to each composition.
1. Zheltonozhskaya T.B., Zagdanskaya N.E., Demchenko O.V., Momot L.N., Permyakova N. M., Syromyatnikov V.G., Kunitskaya L.R. Graft copolymers with chemically complementary components - a new class of high-molecular compounds [Privitye sopolimery s khimicheski komplementarnymi komponentami – osobyi klass vysokomolekuliyarnykh soedineniy]. Uspekhi khimii, 2004, V. 73. P. 877-893.
2. Livshits R.M., Rogovin Z.A. Graft copolymers of cellulose and its derivatives [Privitye sopolimery tsellyulozy i ee proizvodnykh]. Uspekhi khimii, 1965, 34. P. 1086-1107.
3. McDowall D.J., Gupta B.S., Stannett V.T. Grafting of vinyl monomers to cellulose by ceric ion initiation. Elsevier, Progress in Polymer Science, 1984, 10. P. 1-50.
4. Ifuku S., Iwasaki M., Morimoto M., Saimoto H. Graft polymerization of acrylic acid onto chitin nanofiber to improve dispersibility in basic water. Elsevier, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2012, 90. P. 623-627.
5. Kutsenko L.I., Santuryan U.G., Gofman I.V., Abalov I.V., Kalyuzhnaya L.M., Bochek A.M., Panarin E.F. Investigation of the properties of solutions and mixtures of water-soluble films of cellulose esters Poviargol [Issledovanie svoistv rastvorov i plenok smesei vodorastvorimykh efirov tsellyulozy s poviargolom]. ZhPKh, 2010, 83, no 1. P. 105-111.
6. Vijay Kumar Thakur V.K., Thakur M.K., Gupta K.R. Graft copolymers from cellulose: Synthesis, characterization and evaluation. Elsevier, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2013, 97. P. 18-25.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.